Thursday, August 26, 2010

Day of circumcision

The appointment was scheduled for 16:30.  I arrived at this time, and waited around about 10 minutes, and then was called in to see Dr Waechter.

He took out a felt tip pen and started marking where he would cut.  I explained that I wanted to keep as much inner skin as possible, so he marked around the most outer edge of this skin at the top.  Then he had a look and made a mark where he wanted to cut at the bottom.

I had figured out that I wanted to remove about 4cm of skin, to ensure that it was tight, but not too tight.  What he marked looked about 5cm to me, so I told him to bring it in a bit.  In hind's sight, I think he probably marked exactly where the cut should have been because looking at it now I think not quite enough skin was taken, but it's still ok.  I specifically did NOT want my frenulum removed, which he said was no problem as it isn't so thick and isn't short.  I think he would have removed it though if I didn't mention it to him.

After that I went into the operating room and the nurse started setting up.  Soon after Dr Wächter came in, and doused the whole area with alcohol.  Tip for anyone else out there doing this – don't shave right before hand.  I had only shaved my balls, because I didn't want any hair getting in the way after, but the alcohol solution really stung, and continued to sting throughout the whole operation.  If you want to shave, do it at least the day before.

Dr Waechter then gave me a few injections, which didn't really hurt very much at all.  Soon after I couldn't really feel my penis anymore.

Because of the way it was setup, I couldn't see them actually doing the operation.  Unfortunately, I could feel a few cuts (not fully though), so they had to give me a couple more injections.  I felt nothing after that.

The whole thing took about 30 minutes, during which the cauterizer seemed to be used quite a bit (that may be completely normal, I don't know), but otherwise we chit-chatted though most of it.  Afterwards, he showed me the result and explained that on the top it wasn't completely straight because of the vein, but it would be after healing.  It looked really good to me though – the cut was straight and even, not like some butchered jobs you see on the internet.  He had put in a load (about 20) stitches around the cut line.

He then put some thick anti-septic paste (Freka-Cid) around the wound, and show me how to do it because I would have to do it for the next three days.  He basically plastered that on thickly, and then put a compression bandage around it.  I was to do the same once each day for 3 days.

I then left and drove myself 1.5 hours back to Munich.  On the way back, I started to feel it just where the vein used to be.  I really wouldn't have had hardly any pain at all had it not been for the vein.

I thought maybe icing it would remove some of the pain I was feeling but I was wrong.  Best bet was just to lay down, elevate that area and stay still.

We will see what it looks like tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment